Busy, busy, busy, and it’s only Thursday?


I feel like this week was such a whirlwind, and it’s only Thursday! It’s the first time in a long time that I actually feel worn out (but accomplished!). I started my job on Monday (!), and it was…underwhelming? I don’t mean it in a bad way, but I spent 3 of the 4 hours I was there sitting in a chair, twiddling my thumbs. I signed my paperwork and was given the employee handbook to read. Right there. In the office. *eye roll* No one reads the handbook!

To be fair, my manager’s mother was in the E.R. and ended up having to leave to go pick her up, and then come back to work. The problem was when he told me I was only going to be there for a couple hours, and then sent home, but he forgot about me and left shortly after returning from the E.R. The other girl that was on duty asked me how long I was supposed to be staying, and I told her, “I don’t know, ’cause he just left…so…”. So she sent me home without finishing what she was doing for the night.

Day 2 was much better. I ended up actually getting put to work! I helped shuffle some people around the prep room to make room. I helped file, answer phones, shut down the cemetery, vacuum, etc. etc. (you know, my job). I have my third day tomorrow, and I get to help out with a visitation. It’ll be my first time helping with a real service, so I’m actually kind of nervous!

School was a little harder this week since I’m working 3 days (it’s normally only going to be 2, thank the gods), but I managed to study and take 2 tests and get homework done, so I guess I can’t quit yet 😉

Today was an eventful day in the embalming lab too. We come in after the embalming 1 kids raise vessels and proceed to inject and finish the process they started. I was on position 1 which had me doing the mouth closure with needle injector, which I’ve used before, but I was still a little fumbly with it. The nasal aspiration ended up being my main tool today because our case just kept purging! I’ve never seen so much continuously pouring out of the mouth and nose, and then the incisions at both carotids wouldn’t stop filling with fluid! We could barely dry it out enough for us to suture them shut, and ended up having to pack the incisions with cotton at least 7 times.

I feel like I’m getting better at my suturing. The inversion stitch is an amazing one to have in our arsenal, since it makes the incision practically nonexistent, but I’m still struggling with making that one smooth with the skin. I have the baseball stitch down, and I tried my first whip stitch on the radial incision point with success.

I also took the time to catch up with 2 of the girls from the new student orientation to see how their first semester is going. I sat down for a good 15 minutes and chatted with them, answered their questions, and gave them studying advice. They looked a little relieved after talking to me, and I told them to use my knowledge and ask me anything whenever they want. They seemed to appreciate me, so I did my good deed for the day 😉

I haven’t had this sense of tired, accomplished, and motivated in a long time. I hope I can keep up the good vibes and continue to fall in love with my career 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s